Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Folio Weekly Bite Club: Uptown Market

I was so excited to see the Bite Club was going to be on a Friday and at Uptown Market I had to sign up right away. I had been to Uptown Market for breakfast and lunch and enjoyed it very much. I was curious to know what they'd be serving for bite club since it was dinner time. The menu turned out to be unlike anything they normally serve but it was delicious. It felt exta special because Uptown was closed to the public. Enabling Chef Eddie and Marco to interact with us about Uptown Market and the food being served and Chad Munsey founder of vingevity wines talked about the small production wines that were being served.

Menu

Hors d'oeuvres: small Canapes (smoked salmon, Shrimp ceviche, spanish tortilla)


The shrimp ceviche was served with gazpacho elements on a asian soup spoon. I absolutely love these flavors and had at least two spoonfuls! I would buy this ceviche gazpacho by the quart to go or for lunch. 

I can never go wrong with smoked salmon especially paired with creamy cucumber it' classic fresh and light. I admit I did not try the spanish tortilla because I have been eating so many eggs lately.

The pinot grigio paired nicely with the two appetizers I tried. Very tasty with the acidity of the ceviche and the smokiness of the salmon. 

Black Hog Organic Field Greens and Heirloom Tomatoes, Crispy Prosciutto and Champage vinaigrette, dinner rolls and butter.


A great start to dinner I really enjoyed the tomatoes and crispy prosciutto 

This Cuvee de Blanc was sweeter than the first glass I had but not too sweet. I remember Chad comparing it to a Reisling or Gewürztraminer .
Entrees;
Duck cooked two ways. Mandarin roasted duck legs with asian vegetables and seared duck breast served med rare with citrus sauce.


Moroccan Lamb Tagine served with cous-cous. Braised lamb with apricots and roasted vegetables served with lemon scented cous -cous.

Black Hog Farms Organic Chicken cooked in Riesling. Pan seared chicken on the bone, braised with chicken stock, riesling, tarragon and cream served with pan roasted vegetables.


Chicken looked lovely and I had a taste but I really enjoyed the duck & lamb much better 



Loved these root veggies

I was last in line and the fingerlings were gone I'm sure they were great but I'm glad because I had plenty on my plate

The lamb sauce was very rich and the cous cous soaked up the juice perfect with it

Before I even tasted it I guessed the lamb would be the star, maybe because it happens to be a favorite of mine

The lamb's glamour shot

I choose the duck, a small piece of chicken, lamb, root veggies and the cous cous it paired well with the syrah. The lamb and duck were outstanding! 
 
I skipped dessert and went with a second glass of syrah!
If you go for breakfast get my favorite the huevos rancheros, if you go for lunch get the fried green tomato mozarella salad but if you get invited to a moroccan fantasy at Uptown Market run don't walk! I'm curious to see if they will start doing dinner it was a nice atmosphere on a Friday night.

No comments: