Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Dieses Essen ist fantastisch - This meal is fantastic!

I tend to lean toward spanish and asian flavors but the recent lows in the 20's sent me looking for the Dutch and German food of my youth.

In what can only be described as a perfect storm Jodi Kasten www.eatjax.com made a fantastic sausage from turkey and other thanksgiving leftovers and I was lucky to get some to sample. I also received oxheart cabbage and green onions from Veggie Bin http://theveggiebin.weebly.com/ this week. My brother in law works for a beer distributor and was kind enough to throw this insane Sierra Nevada Pale Ale mustard in the mix.

I browned the sausages in a frying pan (too cold to grill) then I added a can of beer and let them simmer. I sauteed the green onions with dried penzy thyme in a dutch oven. At the same time I boiled the cabbage in a cup apple cider vinegar and a cup of water for 10 minutes. After draining I added the cabbage to to the onion and thyme mixture. I boiled some wholewheat shells and made a cheese sauce from equal parts of shredded cheddar and evaporated milk. The sausage was topped with the Sierra Nevada mustard. We ate this meal Monday & Tuesday for dinner and I credit it with warming our bones, nothing but scotch or whiskey could do a better job.

Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5


Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

1 comment:

Unknown said...

YAY! So glad you liked the sausage! Thanks for the shout out and hope to see you soon!